I am always on the search for unique jewelry and I came across this idea on Maybe Matilda. I thought it was so cute and left a note telling her I was going to make it right away. I ran out and got the fabric and got to sewing this quick little bowtie necklace.
1. Gather up your scraps of fabric and ribbon
2. Measure a doubled up piece of fabric to 3.5 inches
3. Fold it inside out and sew all around the rectangle leaving
just a small amount of space so you can turn it right side out.
4. Cut your corners at an angle so you will have
a nice clean rectangle when you turn it right side out.
5. Leave a notch where you didn't sew it closed
6. Turn it right side out
7. Stick scissors into each corner to make clean corners
8. Sew up your opening
9. Measure a coordinating piece of fabric (doubled up) to 2.5 inches
10. Sew all sides together leaving a small opening to turn it right side out
11. Cut corners to create a cleen rectangle when you turn it right side out
12. Remember to leave the notch of fabric around the opening. Fold it under
and sew the opening shut
13. Iron both pieces of fabric to smooth them
14. Layer the two pieces of fabric together and scrunch them together.
15. Wrap your thread around the center of the bowtie to hold it together
16. Take a small piece of ribbon to wrap around the center of the bowtie
17. Stitch the ribbon on the back side so the ribbon doesn't slip
18. There is your finished bowtie now it's time to add your chain
19. I chose black chain to attach to my bowtie
20. Pin the chain to the top corners of the bowtie and stitch the chain on.
You are now ready to wear it and get lots of compliments!
*You want to get a chain that has an open link to attach your bowtie
Isn't it so cute?
* I attached a washer to the back of my bowtie so that it doesn't slip around. The extra weight helps. You could even sew it up inside the rectangle so you don't have it on the back.
Linking Up Here: